With Continual Reference to Justin Kahn.

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

You’re So Vain I Bet You Thought This Blog Was About You:The Most Rockin Rock Coverage Ever (Part II of V)

Hey. You’re not really vain. I was joking, trying to make a shrewd reference to rock. You don’t have to cry.

Man, you may not be vain, but you sure are sensitive.

Now then, back to my rockin’ rock coverage. A lot of my faithful readers have probably been unable to sleep, wondering, what the heck, how was someone going to disrespect you, talking about being UNPUBLISHED? Was this guy published or what?

Yes, he is published, he has a book, printed off and everything, WITH COVERS but whatever. He never wrote up Ninjas as a health danger, and I have. So there.

But when I look back on this evening fifty years from now, I’m not going to remember the insults aimed at me, or the subsequent knife fight or even the police charges, I’m going to remember the music.

The only song I recognized Pre-Reliant K, during the set by MxPx was a song that goes,

But I would walk five hundred miles/And I would walk five hundred more
Just to be the man who walked a thousand miles/To fall down at your door

But even without recognizing any of the other songs, I thought they put on a good show. If I had the energy of the lead, I'd be able to write a novel in a week.

Or you know, ever.

Glen Gould--my favorite rockin’ performer of the Goldberg Variations (The first recording from the fifties was Crunk. The second recording he did was lame.)-—said that he believed the ideal performer to audience ratio was precisely 1 to 0.

Call me an Old School Representative of Thomastic Aesthetics but I largely agree with Gould. I guess that is why I write, rather than join rock bands. But the lead singer seemed to be having a lot of fun, and one of the things I enjoy most in life is watching other people have fun.

Anyway, I wouldn’t have gone to see a performance of the Golberg variations, so it is probably best that the performance-audience ratio was 4 bands to a Sold Out House of Blues.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Justin, how dare you have a crus on a pip squeak like Avril Lavigne...despicable....(plus you are suppose to fall for ME) and once agin you have misused the word Crunk.You can't say that something was crunk only that you got crunked as in the verb form. Anyway you also didn't come to the secret coffee shop tonight..what the heck...oh Justin

Justin said...

Hi "Kate Hudson"
First thanks for leaving a comment.
Second, who doesn't fall for you, Oh Star of "How to Loose a Guy in Ten Days"
But seriously. I know that movie stars don't read my blog. Why can't my few readers come up with better fake names?
Thanks,
Tom Cruise.
P.S. Thanks, Kate for the crunkin grammatical advice.